Re: ora-12546 TNS: permission denied on Windows XP 64 bit platform

From: IANAL_VISTA <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 01:19:36 GMT

rramson_at_gmail.com wrote in

> I tried installing Oracle 9i and 10g on WindowsXP 64 bit edition and
> each time it runs the database creation part, I get a lot of ora-12546
> errors. The installation says that it is complete but when I try
> sql*plus to get into the database, I get the ora-12546 error. I tried
> running the install as the administrator but I still get the same
> error. I turned off the firewall and I still get the same error. I
> did a search through the archives and all of the problems were relating
> to UNIX. Has anyone run across this problem on windows and/or have a
> suggestion on how to fix it?
>
> TIA

oerr ora 12546
12546, 00000, "TNS:permission denied"
// *Cause: User has insufficient privileges to perform the requested operation.
// *Action: Acquire necessary privileges and try again.

I've said this before & I'll say it again. When you are logged directly onto the same system as the DB server, then SQL*NET is NOT required to connect to the database; assuming your session is a member of the "dba" group (the same as owns Oracle's files).

It might be because remote access has not be enabled. SQL*Net implies remote access. SQL*NET does not know or care about where the "remote" client is located. Received on Sun May 15 2005 - 20:19:36 CDT