Re: RAC on Mac News

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 15 May 2005 11:32:07 -0700

Paul wrote:
> Give the guy a bit of leeway.
>
> He constantly answers questions here and is one of the major
> contributors to this group. As he has pointed out, there is nothing
> promotional in the stuff he posted.
>

> I agree that there is a "fine line" between promotion and spam, but I
> don't believe that Daniel has crossed it. *_Maybe_* if it was from
> some unknown, posts about spamming might have a point - at the moment
> they don't!

My opinion only.

The IOUG is the big cheese of oracle user groups. Lots of different people belong to various member groups that are associated with the IOUG. I don't see anyone except Mr. Morgan on this newsgroup aggressively pushing any of the many good user groups that are out there.

Many of us feel that the IOUG does a good job of promoting itself and the various member goups have responsibility in their areas in that regard.

Does Mr. Morgan receive any financial compensation for activities related to the psoug such as teaching classes?

If so then promoting those classes via this newsgroup benefits him materially and is in my mind fits into the category of marketplace related postings that do not belong in this newsgroup.

Does Mr. Morgan ever supply contact information for his own consulting efforts to students or members of the psoug?

Outside of the IOUG related groups, do we see anyone else in this newsgroup who aggressively pushes oracle classes such as workforce partners at community colleges?

Are there people who are members of the various IOUG member groups and/or who teach oracle classes either directly for oracle education or for workforce partners who also participate in this newsgroup who refrain from the types of aggressive promotion that Mr. Morgan repeatedly engages in? You bet there are. Received on Sun May 15 2005 - 13:32:07 CDT