Re: RAC on Mac News

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 09:15:08 -0700

Michel Cadot wrote:
> "HansF" <News.Hans_at_telus.net> a écrit dans le message de
> | On Sun, 15 May 2005 09:40:03 +0200, Michel Cadot interested us by writing:
> |

> | > Is this not spam?
> | >

> | This runs along a very fine line between SPAM and general information. If
> | there was any solicitation implied, I would agree (and including the
> | pointer to pictures comes close to soliciting.)
> |
> | The biggest argument against this being spam is that PSOUG is an
> | organization primarily intended to assist people with Oracle, similar to
> | this newsgroup.
> |
> | --
> | Hans Forbrich
> | Canada-wide Oracle training and consulting
> | mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com
>
> Maybe but the way of this was said shocked me as a site promotion:
>
> "One of PSOUG's members has built the largest..."
> "Pictures can be seen at psoug, click on ... and on..."
>
> If it was said something like:
> "The largest ... has been built, see <full url to the pictures>"
> This would avoid this feeling of a promotion (or at least lessen it).
> Or, better, if it was an answer to a question i don't think about it as spam.
>
> It is just a matter of feelings and this is why i asked Daniel why it seems to
> him this is not spam as he has a very acute notion of this.
>
> Regards
> Michel Cadot

Quick Note:
I just installed a new mail client an accidentally posted a few messages as psoug ... that, hopefully, has been corrected: My apology to all.

The reason I don't consider it spam, and again I considered it carefully, is that there is nothing being promoted. If based upon seeing those pictures you wanted to buy something ... the user group would not, and could not, sell it to you.

Had I posted those pictures on my commercial web site then I would absolutely agree with you: Thus I didn't. I see this as being no different from sending people to psoug.org for answers to questions in the library or to dizwell.com or petefinnegan.com with one exception. That being that you could hire Howard Rogers or Pete Finnegan to do work for you. The PSOUG would politely decline.

Regards.

Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace x with u to respond) Received on Sun May 15 2005 - 11:15:08 CDT