Re: Calling in the Cavalry - Hanging 8i database

From: Johne_uk <edgarj_at_tiscali.co.uk>
Date: 15 May 2005 09:10:57 -0700

The setting are primary ones I have inherited and do not have the experience to start changing without due cause. All of our applications have their own password components which are incompatible with Oracle password management. Users do not connect to the database directly, but use a client or web deployed application.

> There are 5 logfile groups each with one logfile of 25MB
>Why only one? Is archive logging turned on?
>What is the status of the log files when it hangs?

What would you suggest a realistic figure as regards no of group logfiles.
Archive logging is turned on.
Never tried examining the log files during a hang but I know recovery is always 100%.

I agree with the Query Rewrite (should be TRUE).

>INSTANCE_GROUPS is an Oracle Parallel Server parameter that you can
>specify only in parallel mode." as you have parallel server set to
>FALSE.
Yes you're right. What would you suggest in this case - are there any risks in switching on Parallel Mode.

I'm fully aware of the risk of UTL parameter. Control to the box is heavily restricted to certain IT staff only and all of our users are professionals who are not in the habit of tampering. But I agree with what you say.

I appreciate your time to help me with this pronlem. regards
John Received on Sun May 15 2005 - 11:10:57 CDT