Re: Dynamice SQL in Oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 16:52:37 -0700

Mark C. Stock wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>Mark C. Stock wrote:

>>>OP was probably looking for CREATE SCHEMA or just needed more familiarity
>>>with SQL*Plus scripting.
>>>
>>>However, here's two good reasons for creating a table within PL/SQL:
>>>-- To enforce standards and ease development I've got a PL/SQL package
>>>that, among other things, has procedures to creates standardized code
>>>tables and associative tables
>>>-- When mod_plsql is used for a developer interface, DDL will be issued
>>>from within PL/SQL
>>>
>>>I'm suring there are many other DBA/developer/maintenance reasons for
>>>issue DDL from within PL/SQL, so it's important to know how it works and
>>>what its constraints are
>>>
>>>That being said, coding table creation into a production application
>>>(whether the DDL is issues within PL/SQL or not) is very often a design
>>>flaw or unawareness of GLOBAL TEMPORARY tables -- although it still may
>>>exist if the application is designed to be user-extensible in a way that
>>>cannot be accomplished with overly generic data structures. If such a
>>>feature is included, it needs to be well designed and not based on
>>>assumptions or prior experience and habits.
>>>
>>>Perhaps to rephrase another maxim "Never say never, rarely say rarely,
>>>usually say not usually...'
>>>
>>>++ mcs
>>
>>As I said above:
>>
>>1. If you are running a script then run a script. NDS is not required.
>>2. If you can not connect directly to the server then possibly you
>>shouldn't be doing what you are doing.
>>--
>

> don't use HTMLDB?

For schema maintenance? I would hope not.

> don't automate QA?

What does this have to do with my point? I am totally baffled?

> require all developers to connect directly to the server?

Developers should not be connecting to or modifying production applications ... ever.

> life is more than scripts these days -- put it in the database where you can
> protect it.
> understand your options and use the best ones, not just what you're used to.
>
> ++ mcs

And if in the US understand the implications for Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington