Re: Calling in the Cavalry - Hanging 8i database

From: Johne_uk <edgarj_at_tiscali.co.uk>
Date: 14 May 2005 15:56:39 -0700

I've never noticed (or had reported) any other OS procesess that have hung other than Oracle. There is also a Sybase dbase running on the same box and we never have any problems with this. When the dbase hangs I've never actually tested for any deadlocks using the internal account, as there's always been an urgency to get restarted. However, I believe that deadlocks would appear in the alert log and / or the systemstate dumps that I run and provide to Oracle support. Still, next time I will run the sql above as internal just out of curiosity. I've always had a sneaking suspicion that the problem stems from a Weglogic server that connects to the database. It pools multiple java connections and a few of our developers have told me that the outsourced code is very poor quality. However, there's no evidence to support this. I'll also check out any processes as you suggest next time it hangs.
I've inherited this problem from our company's DBA and I have been promoted into his role. I'm aware that he was unable to find any solution to the hanging but it was always tolerated as it only genrally happened once a month. Unfortunately, last week it happened 5 times and all of our company's main applications hang off this box. Thanks and regards Received on Sat May 14 2005 - 17:56:39 CDT