Re: Calling in the Cavalry - Hanging 8i database

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 14 May 2005 13:38:51 -0700

Comments embedded.
Johne_uk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently look after an Oracle 8.1.7.4 database instance running on
> Solaris 7 which is replicated with an identical database instance at
> remote site using Oracle Advanced Replication.
>
> For a number of months now the database instance has been
periodically
> hanging. When a hang occurs all connections are frozen and I cannot
> login using any other account that internal. The only way to restore
> the instance is with a shutdown abort and then a restart.

Does the replication 'hang' as well? Is the replicated database affected in any way? Is your network causing problems with regard to replication?

> The system then recovers itself. However, the hanging does not leave
> any trace files or entries in the alert log.

If it isn't a database issue, per se, you won't have any alert log messages.

> I have had the hardware checked out by a Solaris consultant and he
> could find nothing wrong. There are also some other apps running on
the
> unix box which have never been affected.

It doesn't necessarily indicate a hardware problem; you are replicating this to a remote site, which requires a working network connection. As I asked previously is the replication affected when this 'hang' occurs?  Is the network still properly functioning during these 'outages'?

> To try and find the cause of the problem, I have worked closely with
> Oracle support via many tars and provided numerous systemstate level
10
> dumps which have highlighted nothing. I've also had an Oracle
> consultant onsite who failed to uncover any irregularities.
>
> The box is not particularly overworked and the hanging is not linked
> periods of heavy activity. Many of the database connections are from
> Weblogic box which runs our internal java application.
>
> I'm beginning to think that I need to completely rebuild the box.
> However, I would like one last attempt to determine what is causing
the
> hanging.

Do not stop at the hardware and the database. Other areas may affect this behaviour.

> The instance runs in archivelogmode and all redo logs are 25MB in
size.
> There are no issues with disk space etc. as this is all closely
> monitored.
>
> Could anybody suggest any appropriate course of action that I could
> follow to start the investigation. I'm largely a developer/dba and
not
> hugely experienced.
>
> Please advise of any info required concerning the instance
> configuration and I will post asap.
>
> Thanks in advance to anybody who can point me in the right direction.
>
> regards
> John

David Fitzjarrell Received on Sat May 14 2005 - 15:38:51 CDT