Re: Dynamice SQL in Oracle

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 16:28:22 -0400

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1116084219.248820_at_yasure...
> Mark C. Stock wrote:
>> OP was probably looking for CREATE SCHEMA or just needed more familiarity
>> with SQL*Plus scripting.
>>
>> However, here's two good reasons for creating a table within PL/SQL:
>> -- To enforce standards and ease development I've got a PL/SQL package
>> that, among other things, has procedures to creates standardized code
>> tables and associative tables
>> -- When mod_plsql is used for a developer interface, DDL will be issued
>> from within PL/SQL
>>
>> I'm suring there are many other DBA/developer/maintenance reasons for
>> issue DDL from within PL/SQL, so it's important to know how it works and
>> what its constraints are
>>
>> That being said, coding table creation into a production application
>> (whether the DDL is issues within PL/SQL or not) is very often a design
>> flaw or unawareness of GLOBAL TEMPORARY tables -- although it still may
>> exist if the application is designed to be user-extensible in a way that
>> cannot be accomplished with overly generic data structures. If such a
>> feature is included, it needs to be well designed and not based on
>> assumptions or prior experience and habits.
>>
>> Perhaps to rephrase another maxim "Never say never, rarely say rarely,
>> usually say not usually...'
>>
>> ++ mcs

> As I said above:
>
> 1. If you are running a script then run a script. NDS is not required.
> 2. If you can not connect directly to the server then possibly you
> shouldn't be doing what you are doing.
> --

don't use HTMLDB?
don't automate QA?
require all developers to connect directly to the server? life is more than scripts these days -- put it in the database where you can protect it.
understand your options and use the best ones, not just what you're used to.

++ mcs Received on Sat May 14 2005 - 15:28:22 CDT