Calling in the Cavalry - Hanging 8i database

From: Johne_uk <edgarj_at_tiscali.co.uk>
Date: 14 May 2005 13:20:16 -0700

Hi,

I currently look after an Oracle 8.1.7.4 database instance running on Solaris 7 which is replicated with an identical database instance at a remote site using Oracle Advanced Replication.

For a number of months now the database instance has been periodically hanging. When a hang occurs all connections are frozen and I cannot login using any other account that internal. The only way to restore the instance is with a shutdown abort and then a restart.

The system then recovers itself. However, the hanging does not leave any trace files or entries in the alert log.

I have had the hardware checked out by a Solaris consultant and he could find nothing wrong. There are also some other apps running on the unix box which have never been affected.

To try and find the cause of the problem, I have worked closely with Oracle support via many tars and provided numerous systemstate level 10 dumps which have highlighted nothing. I've also had an Oracle consultant onsite who failed to uncover any irregularities.

The box is not particularly overworked and the hanging is not linked to periods of heavy activity. Many of the database connections are from a Weblogic box which runs our internal java application.

I'm beginning to think that I need to completely rebuild the box. However, I would like one last attempt to determine what is causing the hanging.

The instance runs in archivelogmode and all redo logs are 25MB in size. There are no issues with disk space etc. as this is all closely monitored.

Could anybody suggest any appropriate course of action that I could follow to start the investigation. I'm largely a developer/dba and not hugely experienced.

Please advise of any info required concerning the instance configuration and I will post asap.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can point me in the right direction.

regards
John Received on Sat May 14 2005 - 15:20:16 CDT