Re: Dynamice SQL in Oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 08:26:32 -0700

Andy Hassall wrote:

> On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:24:07 -0700, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
> wrote:
>

>>True but you are ignoring the point. There is NEVER a reason do create
>>a table within a PL/SQL block. EVER!

> If an application is modifying its own schema in such a way, then yes, agreed,
> it's almost certainly a sign of poor design.
>
> But there do exist legitimate cases for use of "dynamic DDL" in upgrade
> scripts run in maintenance cycles, as one of several possible approaches to
> handling upgrading an application from some arbitrary older version to the
> current one.

Using your own words "there do exist legitimate cases for use <snipped> in upgrade scripts" and I agree. If you are running an upgrade script by all means run an upgrade script. But two points:

  1. This does not EVER require dynamic SQL
  2. This hardly ever requires remote access to the server.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. ;-)

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington