Re: Oracle 9i DBA OCP vs Oracle 10g DBA OCP

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 13 May 2005 08:10:28 -0700

Wally wrote:
> This is a question to all you DBAs out there.
>
> Let me start by saying that I am no DBA.
>
> I know that someone with a lot of DBA experience is always prefered
> one who just has an Oracle DBA OCP certificate. 10g DBA OCP just came
> out. Should I go for 10g DBA OCP which is brand new or 9i DBA OCP and
> then later when 10g is implemented more upgrade to 10g OCP? I tried
> looking on the Oracle web site for when 9i DBA OCP will be phased out
> but couldn't find anything.
>

> Thanks for all the feedback in advance.
>
> Wally

9i OCP tests will not be phased out for a long time.

Not many people running 10g yet. 10g dba training courses emphasize clicking on the gui without much if any explanation of what is going on behind the scenes.

9i dba training similar with a little more info on what is actually happening.

Your call ... you already know that most places hire only dba's with relevant work experience.

Human resources is starting to list OCP as a requirement for many jobs.

In most cases "it is" now a requirement IF you go thru HR. In the real world a lot of times people get hired as dba's bypassing HR and if the person has relevant experience, bypassing the OCP requirement.

With all that said, I would recommend the 9i OCP just slightly over the 10g OCP. Received on Fri May 13 2005 - 10:10:28 CDT