Re: DDL & long-running query

From: <tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk>
Date: 12 May 2005 23:49:44 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk wrote:
>
> > And have you actually tried running this test? You'll find the
DROP
> > COLUMN on a table with 100,000,000 rows takes a *very* long time to
> > complete because of the undo it generates.
> >
> > All the testing I've done this morning indicates that an ALTER
TABLE
> > does NOT wait for a query to complete.
> >
> > Tim Kearsley
> > HBS Milton Keynes
>
> Test again.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

Would you like to share with us your evidence for your assertion that DDL statements wait for a query to complete when both I and Rauf have tested the scenario and found the opposite to be true? Or are you just adopting your usual approach of expecting everyone to accept your dogma at face value?

Tim Kearsley
HBS Milton Keynes Received on Fri May 13 2005 - 01:49:44 CDT