Re: How to install 8i with 10g already installed in same PC

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 20:12:03 +0100

"Rauf Sarwar" <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1115829489.385875.66330_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> Carlovski wrote:
>> stephen.how..._at_us.pwcglobal.com wrote:

>> installed.

>> > How about testing vendor functionality for an application that is
>> only
>> > supported on 8i? The OP may not have easy access to a server where
>> > they can install 8i, but needs to test something for it while not
>> > destroying the existing 10g test environment. We don't all have
> the
>> > luxury of _always_ using everything new. Out of 210 databases, our
>> > shop supports (gulp) two databases for an application that
>> > "requires"...get ready...7.2.3! The funny thing is, that is all it
>> > needs, as do about 90% of the business applications out there (even
>> > though they may claim differently). All of the new stuff (java in
>> the
>> > DB...I love it!!!) is nice for us (and of course, the users in
> turn),
>> > but most apps use triggers, indexes, constraints and PL/SQL procs.
>> > Over 85% is our stuff is at least 9i, but we occasionally need an
>> > informal test bed for something older.
>> >
>> > I realize you didn't type this, but I really grow a little weary of
>> all
>> > the posts saying "you are on a dinosaur version of Oracle, do
>> something
>> > about it", "get out of that shop", "you haven't been supported
> since
>> > the Dark Ages", etc., as if none of us are aware of that.
> Sometimes,
>> > as much as you argue, you don't have a choice about versions, but
>> when
>> > you come home at night, there are still open mouths waiting for you
>> > put something in them.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Steve
>>
>> I'm fairly happy running multiple oracle versions on Unix. I'd really
>> try and stay away from doing it on windows if I were you.
>
> <snip>
>
> What's wrong with multiple versions on Windows?
>
> Although it's not a server but I have 3 versions of Oracle (8.1.7.4.1,
> 9.2.0.5.0 and 10.1.0.2.0) in separate homes running on my XP laptop
> without ever having to run into any issues... beside things slowing
> down a bit if I have all three databases running at the same time.

In general I agree, multiple versions work fine in windows *so long as the lowest version is 8i or greater*. There are some oddities though. Try running 9i dbca having installed 10g for example. Bug 3407180 (not visible , but referenceable for no good reason) Received on Thu May 12 2005 - 14:12:03 CDT