rowid problem

From: Osman Mavideniz <omavideniz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 May 2005 21:56:36 -0700

hi,

we have an asp application using oracle 9.2 database. rowid's are used to reference the rows and they are stored as foreign keys. application is working fine but we are not sure about backing up database without getting the rows moved so the rowid's not changed. we looked for this in oracle documents and in the news groups but a little bit confused; its generally said that;

{A rowid of a row can change in these cases: a) the table is an index organized table and you update the primary key.
b) the table is a partitioned table and you "enable row movement" and you update
the partition key and the update causes the row to physically move

otherwise, it takes a complete rebuild of the table (export/import -- alter
table move -- dbms_redefinition for example) to "change" the rowid.}

thus we appreciate who clarifies if its harmless(to rows and rowids) to backup/restore database for oracle 9.2?

thanks Received on Wed May 11 2005 - 23:56:36 CDT