Re: How to install 8i with 10g already installed in same PC

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 May 2005 15:40:20 -0700

bdb..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> Rauf,
>
> "No issues"?
>
> Of course you had to apply a patchset (P IV OUI) prior to installing
8i
> Release 3 due to jvm issues with the Pentium IV, and the 8i home was
> installed prior to the 9.2 and 10.1 homes (unless the laptop was a P
> III or something else).
>
> I've never attempted to install an earlier home after a 10g home.
> One might be able to get by with using the latest OUI for all of the
> installs ... but that doesn't mean that opatch will be able to hit
> every home and be able to update the inventory files properly.
>
> Best to use a common %ORACLE_BASE% with all homes under
> %ORACLE_BASE%\product with the Inst_loc under the %ORACLE_BASE% so
that
> the inventory isn't under c:\program files\oracle.
>
> e.g.:
>
> D:\oracle
> \admin
> \inventory
> \product
> \8.1.7
> \9.2.0
> \10.1.0
> \db_1
> \http_1
>
> hth.
>
> -bdbafh

No issues... really! It's a P4 1.6GHz 1GB RAM XP laptop with 30GB internal + 60GB external USB storage. I installed 9.2.0.1.0 initially... then 8i and then 10g thus making 9i my default home. No issues during any of the installation. After the installation I patched the 9i install to 9.2.0.5 and 8i to 8.1.7.4.1. Inventory directory remains under C:\program Files and has been updated. All homes sit under C:\Oracle and all three databases run off of the USB drive. Each database is small footprint... between 5 to 9GB each. Don't have to use listener locally but I have all three listeners configured on different ports so each one works like a charm. I may not do the same setup on Production server but it can be done if documentation is correctly followed and all homes are separated out.

I did not run into P4 bug on 8i install... perhaps because I may have used the newer installer... don't remember.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Wed May 11 2005 - 17:40:20 CDT