Re: Character Set, Language, Territory

From: Alfredo Diaz <aadiaz_at_dcc.uchile.cl.invalid>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 21:48:56 +0000 (UTC)

You still don??t tell us how did you migrate from Informix to Oracle.

When you setup character set (NLS, National Language Support) you are NOT changing any data ( ie, your text won??t change automatically). You are in fact changing how the server save the date in the logical way. I recommend you to use the same character set that you were using in Informix.

Check the migration data issue, I think that documentation will help you to find out the root of the problem.

Also check, if both character set are compatible and has the same character (doesn??t means if in different position, or hexadecimal code). ru_ru.1251 <-----> AL16UTF16

What character set are you using in your client side??

Sincerely...

sshumilov_at_gmail.com wrote:
: sshumilov_at_gmail.com wrote in message news:<c4118a5b.0504282156.4fb95d42_at_posting.google.com>...
: > Hi!
: >
: > want to ask a question...
: >
: > Currently we use Informix 9.21 on Windows platform and planning to
: > migrate to Oracle 10G. I downloaded OMWB program from Oracle...
: > Created oracle database with character set , migrated one database
: > from informix to oracle and when I check the data I see all kinds of
: > question marks...I read the globalization support guide, but found
: > nothing that can help me...
: >
: > In Informix 9.21 we use this...
: > C:\informix>set CLIENT_LOCALE=ru_ru.1251
: > C:\informix>set DB_LOCALE=ru_ru.1251
: > C:\informix>set SERVER_LOCALE=ru_ru.1251
: > C:\informix>set DBLANG=ru_ru.1251
: > C:\informix>mode con codepage select=1251
: >
: > So I need to find out what should I use in Oracle to see my data
: > correct???
: >
: > I thank you in advance for any info!!!

: here is some additional info...

: IN Oracle I used this...
: national character set AL16UTF16
: Default Language RUSSIAN
: Default Date Format RUSSIA
: Database Character Set RU8BESTA

: I did migrate informix 9.21 for windows to oracle 10G for windows...

--
Alfredo Diaz