Re: Database design and load

From: Rob <rssmithii_at_gmail.com>
Date: 11 May 2005 08:46:20 -0700

Thanks for the good info.
I guess by speed, I mean load, especially how it is distributed over processors and disk systems. Obviously, if one processor has a big load or a lot of I/O, response will be slower than another with little or no load. This is where the grid comes in (again as I understand). Oracle would do the resource loading to give each/all processors part of the load, making the response time faster from all of them. I am still learning about how a grid works, but as I understand it so far, there are several servers, disks, etc in the grid; Oracle manages what jobs are processed by which resources, leveling the load. Considering that, as I understand it, this system does not have significant high and low load, I do not see that Oracle would have much load leveling to do in the grid. Of course when I actually get there I may find my assumptions are all wrong.
I do not know the source of the data yet; I am assuming it is streaming from sensors, rather than periodic file transmissions. I would have to have something (java) create the slq*load flat file or the external table. I can experiment with the efficiency of the two when I get there. I will keep studying Oracle 10g and external files. Thanks again! Received on Wed May 11 2005 - 10:46:20 CDT