Unable to access Oracle 10g Server from a remote client over local area network

From: Pankaj <pankajvermani_at_gmail.com>
Date: 11 May 2005 07:22:49 -0700

 I have moved into a new office a couple of days back (meaning the network has been just set up)
While installnig Oracle 10g server (AND client), I got an error window saying:"Thrown when IP address of a host cannot be determined". But when i clicked on continue, it installed the server without issues. I then installed the client on same machine and was able to access the server.
But when i installed the client on a different machine on the network, the client does not connect to the server and keeps giving ORA12170 TNS: Connection timeout occured.

I checked up the listener.log file and it shows the connection from the client computer (COMP7)
11-MAY-2005 17:26:16 *
(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=orcl)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\Oracle\product\10.1.0\Client_1\jdk\jre\bin\java.exe)(HOST=COMP7)(USER=asd)))
* (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=192.168.0.6)(PORT=1377)) * establish * orcl * 0

I tried using the IP of the remote machine in the tnsnames.ora file, but of no avail.

The client and server machines are otherwise accessible to each other
(directories are accessible Also websites, running on one are
accessible to other).

Any clues of what i can do, since im completely stuck on this. Received on Wed May 11 2005 - 09:22:49 CDT