Re: How to install 8i with 10g already installed in same PC

From: <stephen.howard_at_us.pwcglobal.com>
Date: 11 May 2005 06:25:18 -0700

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> captain_2010_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have installed 10g in the PC and want to install 8i also.
> > What problems will be faced.
> > Is there a way to have both in the same PC and both running ?
> >
> > What is to be done before installing 8i with 10g already installed.
> >
> > Cap
> >

> Yes, but the need for such an exercise I fail to see.

How about testing vendor functionality for an application that is only supported on 8i? The OP may not have easy access to a server where they can install 8i, but needs to test something for it while not destroying the existing 10g test environment. We don't all have the luxury of _always_ using everything new. Out of 210 databases, our shop supports (gulp) two databases for an application that "requires"...get ready...7.2.3! The funny thing is, that is all it needs, as do about 90% of the business applications out there (even though they may claim differently). All of the new stuff (java in the DB...I love it!!!) is nice for us (and of course, the users in turn), but most apps use triggers, indexes, constraints and PL/SQL procs. Over 85% is our stuff is at least 9i, but we occasionally need an informal test bed for something older.

I realize you didn't type this, but I really grow a little weary of all the posts saying "you are on a dinosaur version of Oracle, do something about it", "get out of that shop", "you haven't been supported since the Dark Ages", etc., as if none of us are aware of that. Sometimes, as much as you argue, you don't have a choice about versions, but when you come home at night, there are still open mouths waiting for you to put something in them.

Regards,

Steve Received on Wed May 11 2005 - 08:25:18 CDT