Re: Dynamice SQL in Oracle

From: Thomas Kellerer <NNGNVRDSJEBN_at_spammotel.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 10:20:30 +0200

On 10.05.2005 17:30 DA Morgan wrote:

> Oracle is now smart rewrite the create table so using VARCHAR has
> become impossible. That's one way to deal with developers that
> either don't read or don't understand the intent of the docs.

I was not complaining about developers not reading the manual.

I'm complaining about Oracle's "strategy" in this area.

If Oracle had really intended to change the meaning/implementation of the VARCHAR type, then they should have used a different keyword from the beginning.

But as after so many years they still don't seem to plan to really implement something different with the keyword VARCHAR, they could finally admit it, and drop this VARCHAR vs. VARCHAR2 confusion.

Seems that with Oracle 10 they finally gave up :)

Thomas Received on Wed May 11 2005 - 03:20:30 CDT