Re: Active Directory Query

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 11 May 2005 00:34:14 -0700

ame..._at_iwc.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to write a query that will, from Oracle 8i, query a
Windows
> Active Directory and return values based on the query.
>
> I'm not finding anything useful on this topic and was wondering if
> anyone else had tried this.
>
> Sybrand, yes I've looked at the manuals, for 3 weeks now, and I've
not
> come up with anything.
>
> If you know the answer, please provide the query. Otherwise, telling
> me to look back in the manuals again is wasting time.

As others have pointed out, there was no LDAP support in 8i. There was however (IIRC) the UTL_TCP package which allows you to open a tcp session on a specific port and communicate with whatever is listening there, so if upgrading or using an intermediate database isn't an available option then you might be able to do your communication directly obver tcp.

Alternatively as 8i introduced the Java VM in the db you could write (http://docs.sun.com/source/816-6402-10/writing.htm) or load an existing java LDAP client into the db and utilize this client for your LDAP queries.

Neither is going to be as technically straightforward as obtaining a current version of Oracle though.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.niall.litchfield.dial.pipex.com Received on Wed May 11 2005 - 02:34:14 CDT