Re: using 10 client to connect to 9 db

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 22:10:44 +0200

On 10 May 2005 12:46:53 -0700, barneytoe_at_gmail.com wrote:

>Is this possible? Should be backwards compatible right?

Please look up the definition of backwards compatible.

Backwards compatible means that a higher version database allows a lower version client to connect. That it works the other way around is not guaranteed. In this case it should probably work.
>Currently seeing "could not resolve the connect identifier specified".

Always post exact error numbers and exact error messages.

>DBA said I should use this in my tnsnames and I do:

You shouldn't have *both* a SID= *and* a service_name= in your connect descriptor. Service_name is to be preferred.

>mydev.world =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS =
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)
> (Host = 1.2.3.4) // not the actual IP of course
> (Port = 1521)
> )
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SID = mydev)
> (SERVICE_NAME = mydev.world)
> )
>)
>
>tnsping returns this for "tnsping mydev.world"

tnsping only shows there is a listener running. It doesn't connect to the database.

>Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
>Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS =
>(PROTOCOL = TCP)
>(HOST = 1.2.3.4)(PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = mydev) (SERVER =
>DEDICATED)))
>OK (380 msec)
>
>What's this DEDICATED business? New for 10?

Has been around since Oracle 6 or 7.
There are dedicated connections and shared connections possible to a database.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA