Re: Dynamice SQL in Oracle

From: Thomas Kellerer <NNGNVRDSJEBN_at_spammotel.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:01:13 +0200

On 10.05.2005 09:29 DA Morgan wrote:
> Heck if you had read even one
> page of Oracle documentation you'd know you should not be using the
> VARCHAR data type to create a table.

Hmm. The manual for 8,9 and 10 says

"The VARCHAR datatype is currently synonymous with the VARCHAR2 datatype."

I admit, it also says that "In future releases, VARCHAR might be defined as a separate datatype".

But for all "current" versions of Oracle (8, 9 and 10) VARCHAR *is* effectively the same as VARCHAR2

Thomas

P.S.: I never understood why Oracle used a non-standard keyword to denote the "standard" data type. If they wanted to introduce a non-standard type in the future, why didn't they reserve a non-standard keyword for that.... Received on Tue May 10 2005 - 04:01:13 CDT