Excessive waits on 'SQL*Net message from client'

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <vafanassiev_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 May 2005 23:02:23 -0700

I am trying to extract all data from a relatively small table into a flat file and extract runs for too long. When looking at wait events I see 46 seconds wait on 'SQL*Net message from client' and 3 seconds wait on 'db file scattered read', all other waits are less than 1 second.

Basically I start SQL*Plus and specify SQL file on the same line, and SQL file contains EXIT at the end, so where all these waits on 'SQL*Net message from client' are coming from?

> sqlplus / @select.sql

where file select.sql looks like that

select col1, col2, col3,col4 from table; exit

Note that I run the extract on the same server where the database is running and connect through Bequeath, bypassing the listener. Background information:
- Oracle 9.2.0.4.0 (32-bit) on Sun SPARC Solaris 8