Re: Oracle 9i Release 2(9.2.0.4) on Slackware 10.1

From: <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: 9 May 2005 15:04:29 -0700

lbu..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I installed Oracle 9i on WBEL3 (White Box Enterprise Linux 3). The
> lastest is Respin 2 March-2005.
>
> WBEL3 was created from the source of Red hat Enterprise Linux 3.
> However, WBEL3 is free.
>
> During the WBEL3 installation, I used the GUI (default) installer,
and
> was sure to install X and the Legacy Package. The Oracle Universal
> Installer requires these packages.
>
> For installing Oracle 9i on WBEL3, see
> http://www.dizwell.com/albums/linora9/html/prelim1.html
>
> I had to deviate from what appears on
> http://www.dizwell.com/albums/linora9/html/prelim1.html

In fairness, I should point out that the instructions you mention were *explicitly* written for the Liberation Respin 1 release of White Box (which is still downloadable, and for 9i installations is still what I'd recommend for the moment).

I have been meaning to update them for the Respin 2 release, but what with wine on/in my laptop and assorted other hardware frustrations, I've simply not been able to get around to it (or the million other projects I'm supposed to be keeping up with). Maybe next month!

I can tell you that the 10g instructions were also written for Respin 1, but require no alteration whatsoever for the Respin 2 release. I still cut-and-paste from the web 10g article and things work just fine.

I don't read these groups much any more, but if you ever spot technical documentation issues such as you describe here, you are more than welcome to drop into the Dizwell Forums and let me (and everyone else) know there:

http://www.phpbbserver.com/phpbb/?mforum=dizwellforum

Regards
HJR