Checking if more than 0 rows exist.

From: abc <abc_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 15:49:38 -0400

All,

Kind of a new person here and this may be a stupid question but.

We have a table with 20 columns and many millions of records. I need to check if the combination of 5 of those columns exists anywhere in the table. It does not matter how many times it exists in the table but only if the combination exists in the table.

Select count(*) from combo_table where all fields match would count them all but all I really need to know is if any exist (>0 rows).

The fields are indexed so what I am wondering is what is the most efficient way to check that criteria? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Eric Received on Mon May 09 2005 - 14:49:38 CDT