Re: Strange column names

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 21:55:37 +0800

Ford Desperado wrote:

> Oracle 9IR2
> I have created a table, and if I explore it via Toad, it looks good.
>
> However, I'm getting strange results from all_tab_columns:
>
> SELECT COLUMN_NAME FROM ALL_TAB_COLS
> WHERE TABLE_NAME ='SOME_TABLE'
> AND OWNER = 'SOME_OWNER'
> AND COLUMN_NAME LIKE '%:%'
> ORDER BY COLUMN_ID
> COLUMN_NAME
> ------------------------------
> SYS_C00002_05050610:14:15$
> SYS_C00010_05050610:14:15$
> 2 rows selected
>
> these 2 columns are not in my script, and I do not see them if I run
>
> select * from some_owner.some_table
>
> nor I can see them via Toad
> What's that?
>
> TIA
SQL> create table T ( x number, y number );

Table created.

SQL> alter table T set unused column y;

Table altered.

SQL> select column_name from all_tab_cols   2 where owner = user
  3 and table_name = 'T';

COLUMN_NAME

SYS_C00002_05050921:54:58$
--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"