Re: directio and async io on redhat linux 3 and oracle 9i

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 19:44:18 GMT

On Sun, 08 May 2005 19:17:44 +1000, Noons wrote:

> I wonder: has Oracle support stooped so low that their
> advice now as to what a patch does is so completely wrong
> we have to test EVERY single grain of functionality to make sure
> their contents are what they claim?
>
> Lovely...

The beauty of cost cutting. Oracle started behaving like MacDonalds: over one billion databases served. You will find a finger or something else of the sort here and there but, please, move on and don't block the line. In version 8i Oracle came with a radical idea of dismantling beta testing and let the customers do beta testing. It seems that in 9i they abandoned any testing at all and used the customer base as an external QA department. In other words, they are the pioneers in switching from regression testing to deception testing. I am expecting them to start using customers for designing and coding the RDBMS software as well. Things are definitely moving toward open source. They will adopt Oracle Open Prime Software license, or OOPS for short. So, in order to use oracle, you'll have to donate money to Larry Ellison and accept oops in large quantities. May God have mercy on our wallets.

--
Demagogue: One who preaches a doctrine he knows to be untrue to
           men he knows to be idiots.