Re: How to create folder in disk using pl/sql

From: Lewis C <lewisc_at_excite.com>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 15:10:07 GMT

On Sat, 7 May 2005 14:41:04 +0000 (UTC), Rene Nyffenegger <rene.nyffenegger_at_gmx.ch> wrote:

>On 2005-05-07, Lewis C <lewisc_at_excite.com> wrote:
>> On 6 May 2005 22:10:05 -0700, "Shahadat" <shossen_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>can any guru tell me how can i create folder (c:\test\test1) in my disk
>>>using oracle pl/sql?
>>>
>>>please give me some adive.
>>>
>>>thanks,
>>>
>>>shahadat
>>

>> Check out the CREATE DIRECTORY command in the reference manual.
>

>The SQL create directory does not create an OS directory (of folder, how the
>OP names it). Instead, it creates a directory object which is an
>alias for an OS directory
>
>Rene

You're right. I misread what he was asking for. I interprested it as meaning he wanted to access a directory (i.e. external tables or utl_file). He did say he just wanted to create one though. Mea culpa.

I'm not sure why someone would want to create an actual OS directory from inside the DB though. Even the SQL CREATE DIRECTORY should be done in advance. To me, that's kind of like creating tables on the fly.

Lewis

Lewis R Cunningham

Author, ItToolBox Blog: An Expert's Guide to Oracle http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/oracle/guide/

Topic Editor, Suite101.com: Oracle Database http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/oracle