Re: All tables

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 17:11:14 +0200

Madhivanan wrote:
> Holger
>
> I have been using SQL Server2000 and new to Oracle
> Thats why I posted very basic question
>
> Madhivanan

And there are very basic (read: important) differences to be aware of. In Oracle:
- Writers don't block readers and vice versa - a schema (a user owning tables and other stuff) is what roughly is

   comparable to a database in SQL Server - there is no autonumber field (we use sequences) - no dirty reads (you only see what others committed)

.
.
.

A very good reading on some important differences is in the first few chapters of Expert one on one Oracle by Tom Kyte. And Beginning Oracle Programming (Sean Dillon et al) is certainly worth reading, too.

Not to forget the complete documentation for Oracle which is at

        http://tahitit.oracle.com

(requires a free registration, but is really worth it). You're most likely interested in the concepts guide, with additional reading depending on what you'll be doing (adminstrators guide, developers guide etc.).

Cheers
Holger Received on Fri May 06 2005 - 10:11:14 CDT