Re: Oracle LDAP Question

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 11:22:35 +0200

HansF wrote:

> On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:28:11 +0200, Frank van Bortel interested us by
> writing:
>

>>HansF wrote:
>>
>>>On Thu, 05 May 2005 07:04:52 -0700, amerar interested us by writing:

>>>It's not just scripts. It's a whole environment, including front end
>>>servers (called oidldapd, oidrepld, etc. in *nix) that needed to be
>>>started up after the datsbase is started.
>>>
>>>In Oracle8i OiD was a totally independant beast - you could not have an
>>>Oracle8i database running both standard database stuff and LDAP stuff
>>>because the init parameters, the tuning, the disk layout, etc. was
>>>totally predefined and horribly restricted in the LDAP environment.
>>>

>>Hmmm - never noticed that. Just a separate tablespace, some tables,
>>some procedures, and a few utilities.
>>Remarkably few, for that price, I might add :)
>>
>>Oh - and I do have an installation and migration document, with
>>pictures... in Dutch.
>

> 8i?  I know 'separate tablespace only' was the case with 9i, but the way I
> remember it for 8i - keep it on a separate instance.  The tuning issues
> alone were a nightmare - ever looked at the OiD schemas?
>
> (Perhaps I remember the practical vs the theoretical - I was involved in
> several OiD opportunities between '99 and '02 and heaved a big sigh of
> relief when the 9i version came out.)

I never got it to work, unless I installed all manually, i.e. run (and debug) the scripts from the command prompt.

Euhm.. just found the document back - it's probably the 9i version ("Can be found not only on the EE RDBMS CD's, but also on the 9iAS CD) - yes, one of the pictures shows release 2.1.1.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel