Re: RMAN delete obsolete

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 20:48:16 GMT

On Thu, 05 May 2005 14:34:33 -0400, dk <dkight_at_comcast.net> wrote:

>If I specify a recovery window of 7 days internal to rman, then perform
>a backup using a recovery windows of 2 days(see below). Which one will
>take recedence?

You don't "perform backup using a recovery window". You perform a backup and *then* possibly delete old backups. It's 2 separate things and can be done completely independent.

The CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY is merely a default for the "DELETE OBSOLETE" command. Since you explicitely specify a recovery window of 2 days in your delete, these 2 days are in effect. The 7 days would only take effect if you had just specified "delete obsolete;".

>I'm looking for a way to have the rman catalog be aware of 7 days worth
>of backups exists but I only want to keep 2 on disk. OS backups are
>taken nightly. Will the below do the job???

No. And you don't need to involve the O/S backup to achieve what you want.

RMAN (From 9i) is fully capable of keeping recent backups on disk and older backups on tape and continously keep this distribution. Like this :

Your backup to disk your datafiles once a day and your archivelogs once an hour with existing RMAN script. Nothing fancy here, just "bacup database" and "backup archivelog all delete input";

Every day you run a little additional RMAN script which takes disk backups older than 2 days to tape, delete the origin files and finally delete tape bacups older than 7 days :

RMAN > backup device type sbt backupset created before 'sysdate-2' delete input;
RMAN>allocate channel for maintenance device type sbt; RMAN>delete noprompt force obsolete recovery window of 7 days;