Re: 2 Buffer Cache Questions

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 04 May 2005 17:26:24 GMT

RogBaker_at_gmail.com wrote:
> 1. If you select * from a table, shouldn't that load the whole table
> into the database buffer cache, provided it fits.

No, unless the table is small.

> I have a script that
> I found that shows me what's in the cache, but I cannot seem to make
> 100% of a tables block fit.

Why are you trying to make that happen?

> I could not seem to find the answer in the
> concepts manual.
>
> 2. What's does system put in the buffer cache.

Whatever it needs to. System stuff.

> We notice that after
> starting the db, system will occupy a good chunk of the buffer cache,

What you notice is that after starting the db, the system will occupy a good chunk of the *occupied portion* of the buffer cache. And of course it does. What else would be occupying the buffer cache immediately after a clean restart? Most of it is unused, and the part that is used is used for system stuff.

> but that will start to decrease as various queries are run and the data
> begins to fill the cache.

Yes, of course.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB