v$archived_log problem after restoring db on a new server

From: <crajac66_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 May 2005 10:09:24 -0700

Oracle version 8.1.7.4
OS - Solaris 5.8
Archiving enabled

I recently restored a database from server A to server B. Server B has exactly the same directory structure as server A. Here are the steps I took.

  1. Restored datafiles, controlfile, init.ora, and archive logs to same directory paths on server B as they existed in on server A from a hotbackup.
  2. Starutp mount
  3. Recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;
  4. Prompted for a couple of archive logs to apply but received a message after applying each log that they were no longer needed. Ended recovery by choosing cancel.
  5. alter database open resetlogs;

Database opened fine and everything appeared to be ok. But when I query v$archived_log and v$log_history I get unexpected results.

SQL> select max(sequence#) from v$archived_log;

MAX(SEQUENCE#)

          4856

SQL> select max(sequence#) from v$log_history;

MAX(SEQUENCE#)

            21

 1 select sequence# from v$archived_log   2* order by sequence# asc

 SEQUENCE#

         1
         2
         3
         4
         5
         6
         7
         8
         9
        10
        11
        12
        13
        14
        15
        16
        17
        18
        19
        20
        21
      3970
      3971
      3972
      3973
      3974 ... continuing until 4856

Some questions.
- Did I miss something in the restore steps I implemented on server B?

To fix the problem here are some of the ideas I have.

  1. Shutdown and open the database again with resetlogs.
  2. Recreate the controlfile
  3. Start all over and restore the database again.

Any insight as to why the old sequence#'s are still present and how to remove them from the base table for v$archived_log would be appreciated.

Craig Jackson Received on Wed May 04 2005 - 12:09:24 CDT