Re: 10g OCP: Installation Performance Enhancements?

From: <SunnyGuy11_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 May 2005 08:45:02 -0700

1 cdrom installation 'meaningless'?

No. It is a useful feature; it makes the install go quicker and less inclined to bump into problems.

This is assuming of course the DBA does not want to install software on the other cdroms.

I thought of some other features which might be considered performance enhancements (or considered DBA productivity enhancements):

-Cloning support baked into DBCA
-Cloning support baked into EM
-Automated checking of the installation environment
 (proper OS?, patches?, kernel params?, swap?, RAM?, etc...)

Would a typical DBA find the first two to be significant?

I assume the last one is a boost to Oracle; a newbie DBA might be less inclined to toss her Oracle CD in the trash if the installer gives her comprehensive installation help.

-msg