Re: RMAN Question

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 May 2005 16:13:49 -0700

Note to OP: It is important for these types of questions to state the version and whether you are using some sort of high availability software. See note: 1035665.6 on metalink, too. For example, if you are moving arcs around and change some ownership/protection, you can run into this.

I do crosschecks before the backup, since I'm removing things from disk at various times and nocatalog, and I want to start the rman at a known state. I purposefully leave several days of arcs on disk, since it is possible for rman to miss things and one never knows when you might need something older or newer in a restore.

Here is an example of a missing thing:

The "backup archivelog all" at the end of an rman run command apparently generated sequences 2835 and 2836 at 20:33, Oracle decided to spit out 2837 at 20:35, and rman said it was done at 20:37. When I did the (standby database) restore, RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 2837 scn 23012872 found to restore.

I had expected any arcs generated before rman said it was done would be included.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.cio.com/archive/050105/comair.html