Re: W2K3 vs RHAS performance: Windows wins.

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 22:24:21 +0100

<jonas_at_cyberspace.org> wrote in message news:1114974589.940984.32590_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> The system is an Intel Itanium 2, RHAS certified, and the update the 4.
> The steps: http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle10g.shtml.
> What do you weant to say with 'Replace the compiler
> before installing the Oracle binaries?'

If you did follow Werner's excellent instructions then, like me, you will have crippled the performance of the database by not enabling either asynchronous or direct IO, assuming the filesystem you chose supports them, and if it doesn't you chose the wrong one. For me this made linux half the speed of windows on a somewhat naive test(inserting a bunch of rows and arguably committing too frequently). Once I fixed that it was only 15% slower which is negligible for OLTP.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA