Re: parallel query

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 3 May 2005 13:36:24 -0700

Thomas Kyte wrote:
> In article <1115135223.894035.36330_at_g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> fitzjarrell_at_cox.net says...
> >

> >Eugene wrote:
> >> So, you are saying that I will not be able to use parallel query
with
> >> noparallel clause at the table level. Since nobody answered for a
> >long
> >> time, I've asked Tom Kyte the same question and the answer was:
YES.

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:15898147502902143558:::::

> >> I am confused now,
> >> Eugene
> >
> >The previous poster is confused, so you shouldn't be. Using the /*+
> >PARALLEL */ hint will process the query in parallel, even if the
tables
> >are created 'noparallel'. Believe Thomas Kyte, as he's as reliable
as
> >you can get.
>
> but always question authority -- as he did, I've updated that thread
for the
> simple reason that in my haste, all I said was
>
> yes
>
> I should have said yes with the test case I just provided in this
thread :)

> > As for the previous poster, he needs to read up on how
> >the hints work, and that a parallel hint on a table with a DEGREE
set
> >to 1 still processes that particular hinted query in parallel.
> >
> >The answer to your question, again, is yes.
> >

> >David Fitzjarrell
> >

> --
> Thomas Kyte
> Oracle Public Sector
> http://asktom.oracle.com/
> opinions are my own and may not reflect those of Oracle Corporation

I fully agree, however I presumed you had followed your usual method of answer followed by proof/example, hence my response. I, too, should have provided such an example to illustrate the point.

We live and learn.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue May 03 2005 - 15:36:24 CDT