Re: Need good idea

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 13:28:26 -0700

Vlad Olevsky wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> We have a following problem. For security reasons in each table in our
> DB we have addition field which is calculated as hash value of all
> columns in particular row.
>
> Every time when some field in particular row is changed we create and
> call select query from our application to obtain all fields for this
> row and then re-calculate and update the hash value again.
>
> Obviously such approach is very ineffective, the alternative is to
> create trigger on update event and then execute stored procedure which
> will re-calculate and update the hash value. The problem with this
> approach is that end user could then change the date in the tables and
> then run this store procedure to adjust hash value.
>
> We are looking for some solution that could speed up the hash value
> updating without allowing authorized user to do it
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Leon

This may come as a shock to you Leon but the solution in each of the products whose usenet group you copied on this uses a completely different solution.

I'd suggest you start by apologizing, to all, for your lack of identifying the product and version and for posting to every usenet group you can spell.

And then repost in the one, and only, group where your query is appropriate.

Thank you.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington