Re: Standby database & licensing

From: Syltrem <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 10:17:28 -0400

<stephen.howard_at_us.pwcglobal.com> a écrit dans le message de news:1115064552.429749.18090_at_o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Other source sat Oracle disagree...
>
> See page 20 of http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/sig.pdf (Link
> from http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/sig.html)
>
> "Standby - In this type of recovery, a copy of the primary database
> is
> maintained on a separate server at all times. These systems are
> configured
> for disaster recovery purposes. If the primary database fails, the
> standby
> database is activated to act as the new primary database. In this
> environment, both the primary and the standby databases must be fully
> licensed. Additionally, the same metric must be used when licensing the
> databases in a standby environment."
>
> Regards,
>

> Steve

This new document is more torough than the one I saw yesterday.

So what they called a standby database that could be licensed for free (or did not need a license) was effectively what I call a backup. There is no point in having a database that's 1 year old on a server; you'll have to restore from backup anyway. The only thing I guess, is that you can have the Oracle software pre-installed on the server (with no database). But again that really is a backup (at least on VMS it is; the same is not true for Windows where you have to run the installer). I only need my last full backup and after 30 minutes I have Oracle up and running on any server I like.

Thanks for the link, and it seems it will be costly !

--
Syltrem

OpenVMS 7.3-1 + Oracle 8.1.7.4
http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site, en français)