10g on XP Pro with dynamic IP

From: Martin Eysackers <eysackers.martin_at_pandora.be>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 11:56:04 GMT

Hi all,

I recently did a 10g installation on my PC and encountered some problems During installation I got the following error message : "Thrown when the IP address of a host cannot be determined"

this is because my PC has a dynamic IP address I solved this by using a static IP address and reinstalling 10g I then changed tnsnames.ora and listener.ora to use host=127.0.0.1

everything works fine
I can go to http://<computername:5500/em or http://localhost:5500/em, both work fine

but when I chage my IP address back to dynamic (so I can surf again) neither URL still works
nor can I connect to the database
I get :
ORA-12514 : TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

Is there a solution for this ?
I now change my IP address back to static (192.168.0.2) and reboot after which everything
from Oracle works fine (but of course I can no longer surf the net)

thanks for your help Received on Tue May 03 2005 - 06:56:04 CDT