standby db log sequence gap

From: <dba.orcl_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 May 2005 19:43:32 -0700

Hi:

I am not very familiar with standby database. So kindly help me to understand why there is a huge gap between "Oldest online log sequence" and "Current log sequence" in standby db (which is not the case in primary).
Note:- the standby db is operating in recovery mode for the last 2 Hrs.

Primary

SQL> archive log list
Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled

Archive destination
Z:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_1\database\archive\primary Oldest online log sequence 87
Next log sequence to archive 89
Current log sequence 89
SQL> Physical Standby

SQL> archive log list
Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled

Archive destination
Z:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_1\database\archive\standby Oldest online log sequence 72
Next log sequence to archive 0
Current log sequence 89
SQL> When I issue a query in standby DB, it says till sequence#88 has been applied.

SQL> SELECT SEQUENCE#,APPLIED FROM V$ARCHIVED_LOG order by sequence#;
:
:

 SEQUENCE# APP
---------- ---