Re: update statement PL/SQL

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:44:56 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 07:34:37 -0700, DA Morgan
> <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>

>>And as I said ... if looking for someone to specifically work with
>>10g.

> None of our customers is using 10g and none of them is likely to
> upgrade soon or even ever.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Different country: Different environment. No one, except possibly Tom Kyte, is in a position to speak from experience about Oracle on a basis that crosses countries and regions. Your comments should be interpreted based on where you are and mine on where I am. Within 2-3 years the number of 8.0 or prior installations in Washington State will be less than 10% and the number of 8i and prior far less than 50%.

Part of what is driving the move to 9i and 10g in the US generally, and in this region specifically, is Sarbanes-Oxley and HIPAA. No CEO, COO, CFO, or CIO has any intention of going to jail because of the cost of upgrading software: Third-party vendors be damned. I know one CFO that has removed MS Access and Excel from all computers in the company based solely on his refusal to end up in court, or worse, due to a SarbOx violation. And I am aware of others considering the same.

So if complying with federal law requires FGAC and FGA and other capabilities built into 9i and 10g so be it. If in the EU you don't have laws equivalent to SarbOx you have far less incentive to upgrade. Here it is just a matter of time before some CFO is doing time because he decided to save money on software. They all know it because their CPA firms, law firms, and IT consultants are covering themselves by warning about it regularly.

If one of my clients has a SarbOx problem there is no question that I have warned them ... in writing and often ... because I'm not going down because they were short-sighted or stupid: Simple as that. And thus firms I know that were perfectly fine with Oracle 7.x and 8i are upgrading because the law has forced their hand.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington