Re: update statement PL/SQL

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 07:34:37 -0700

Tony Andrews wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>Two years ago during an interview I wouldn't have asked anyone
>>about virtual indexes as they didn't exist. Today I wouldn't hire a
>>10g DBA that didn't know what they were. Things change very fast.
>>
>>Note: Oracle has now had virtual indexes for more than 1 year.

> It seems a bit harsh to deny someone a job because they are unaware of
> a new, *undocumented* feature! How are they supposed to know, other
> than by luck?

I'd agree with you except a quick search with google for: "Oracle" and "Virtual Indexes" reveals 491 articles. Among them:

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/oracle/article.php/3413961
http://www.dbasupport.com/oracle/ora9i/virtual_indexes.shtml
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/23014/0/
http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Oracle/DBA_tips/Tuning/TUNING_15.shtml

Look even Don Burleson has written about them http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_virtual_indexes_fake.htm so everyone should know about them who is paying attention.

And as I said ... if looking for someone to specifically work with 10g. If 9i or someone to train from 9i to 10g I clearly indicated it wouldn't matter.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington