Re: update statement PL/SQL

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:19:44 +0200

Paul wrote:

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>

>>Take a good look at the date on Steven's book. I can't imagine he would
>>give the same advice today.

> Sorry? A quick perusal of the book didn't come up with anything like
> advice from him about the date? It was Sep 2002 - perhaps neolithic by
> your standards?
>

> Paul...

Well, a few pages further, in chapter 14, bulk collect is given some attention. <quote>
With BULK COLLECT you can retrieve multiple rows of data [...] with a single roundtrip to and from the database. </quote>

As this is a learning book, certainly explicit cursors are handled. Certainly these have their pros (granularity of control, for instance); I've seen too many 'count(*)' where a simple 'open ...; fetch ...; if %found' would have been sufficient.

One of the main things Steven points out, is the value of 'will this statement do what you want?'. Referring to the statement above: too many count(*) where the question merely was: do we have *any* records at all?

To Paul: you still have 9 chapters to go. Good luck :)

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel