Re: How critical is RAC experience

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:52:06 -0700

hpuxrac wrote:

>>I hate to throw gasoline on the file you've got burning but this just

>>isn't true.
>>First off you only have one (1) database no matter how many nodes.

> Who said differently?

You did. Here's what you wrote:

"RAC is just oracle on multiple different nodes simultaneously. You just administer 1 database at a time, like always."

You said "administer 1 database at a time" ... but there is only 1 database period. 1 RAC cluster = 1 database.

A node is not a database and a cluster is not multiple databases. A node is an instance and the distinction is important.

> What I perhaps could have said different is if you have more than 1 rac
> database then you manage them database by database.

RAC isn't about databases ... it is about instances and now with 10g services.

>>Second there are a substantial number of moving parts like the CRS
>>that require substantially more knowledge than just ... the

> impression
>
>>you give which is log into SQL*Plus are type STARTUP/SHUTDOWN.

> Is CRS required to run RAC. Obviously not ... we don't use it here.

Your statement reads something like:
"Is PMON required to run the database. Obviously not ... we don't use it here."

No CRS ... no RAC.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington