Re: anonymous transaction and altering table

From: DaLoverhino <DaLoveRhino_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Apr 2005 14:01:54 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> No SQL.
> No error message.
> No version.
> No help.
>
> Seriously ... how do you expect anyone to help you when you act like
> you are being charged by the character to post.

Oh yeah, sorry about that. I didn't think I'd bore you with the details.

> What is anyone supposed to make of:
> "----- Parse PAIRS and extract the name-value column data."?

Yeah, you're right. Basically, I have a varchar2 column that looks like
this: "name=value;name=value;name=value". Then the pl/sql code goes through
this column using index functions to parse these values, and insert them
into another table. It does it for each row in the table. If the PL/SQL
code successfully converts all the data, I want to alter the table and drop the name-value pair column. Otherwise, I want to leave the data alone, and not alter table.

I know, it's vague, AGAIN.

I guess my real question is how to mix sql commands and DDL commands all
in one transaction, which someone on this post already said you can't, which makes writing upgrade scripts a bit trickier.

thanks for your time, anyways, (that is pointing out that I'm a block head.) Received on Thu Apr 28 2005 - 16:01:54 CDT