Re: Rollback/Undo in 9i

From: zhu chao <zhuchao_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Apr 2005 00:02:53 -0700

Kenneth Koenraadt wrote in message news:<4262a904.2728093_at_news.inet.tele.dk>...
> On 17 Apr 2005 07:39:16 -0700, "chao_ping" <zhuchao_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >We used rollback segment even in 9i database, as in 8.1.7.4 instances,
> >rollback segment works great for us and we feel no need to change this
> >behavior.
> >

> Switching to automatic undo has no costs.
>
> *Not* switching to automatic undo may have severe costs later when the
> load on your system either increases or gets mixed. Or when a trivial
> user failure forces you to do a complete DB point-in-time recovery,
> whereas you with automatic undo could just flashback in one minute.
>
> Your decision of not switching to automatic undo is therefore like
> deciding not to bend down to pick up a 100$ note : Utterly wrong and
> even stupid.
>

> - Kenneth Koenraadt

Anything new is so buggy, in oracle.
Being a senior DBA, you should be aware of this. Think about ASSM, IOT, Partition, and especially SMU. Which feature comes mature in the first 1-2 release?

Many DBAs tried all the new fancy stuff, and got their production database crashed one time after another, only to know that they hit some bug, and need some special workaround, patch, or even rollback. Received on Thu Apr 28 2005 - 02:02:53 CDT