Re: uploading the contents of a spreadsheet

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 03:55:10 GMT

"Demetrius Sotiriades" <dsotiriades_at_wi.rr.com> wrote in message news:UbYbe.47462$Nn.4563_at_tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> Thanks Randy,
>
> I think that I will end up doing something along the lines that you
suggest.
> It appears to be the best alternative. I am a little curious though, even
if
> you have appropriate drivers for Oracle loaded on the client machine you
> also need the Oracle client loaded on the machine in order for a desktop
> application to connect to an Oracle server?

I have not been able to find a way of getting around needing the Oracle client software. However, it's not that big, easy to install and can be downloaded from Oracle. I've found the client to be a little bit sensitive to versions. I recently had a user that had some problems running an Access report from an 8.1.7.4 database. I changed his client from 9.2.0.4 to 8.1.7.6, problem went away. Another client problem was corrected by upgrading from 8.1.7.0 to 8.1.7.6. I'm going to get that database upgraded to 9i or 10g one of these days.

> One final question are there any good online tutorials about using SQL
plus?
> Since I probably going to end up using it at least for simple queries I
> might as well know how to use it effectively.

The Oracle documentation is great. Virtually all of it is available on line. You can search it, or download PDFs. There are many, many sites with help of virtually every aspect of SQL and SQL*Plus. Google for what you want, you'll be amazed at the wealth of resources available.

http://otn.oracle.com/pls/tahiti/tahiti.docindex

Best of luck,
Randy Harris Received on Wed Apr 27 2005 - 22:55:10 CDT