Re: IBM shifts software price for dual-core x86 chips. Oracle next?

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:49:27 GMT

Daniel,

Can you point to some benchmarks?
I am particularly interested in G5 vs. AMD

I googled around, and saw G5 vs. AMD tests, and AMD 'outperformed' in most cases, however, these were app benchmarks or game benchmarks.

Thanks

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:15:44 -0700, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:

>hpuxrac wrote:
>
>>>That solves nothing. IBM is going to accept dual-cores as single cpus
>>

>>>only on Intels (Intel's HT and new AMD's dual cores) and not for the
>>>real performers such as their own RISC CPUs. They are only realizing
>>>that dual cores in Intel area are just single cores behaving like
>>
>> dual
>>
>>>cores with almost no real performance gains. No gain, no pain (no
>>>additional software licences).
>>

>> The AMD dual core cpu's are a nice design and "do perform". Running
>> hpux or solaris or linux on those machines will be quite nice.
>>
>> That being said let's hope Oracle does change course here but don't
>> hold your breath.
>
>Why? Better performance at a far lower price can be had from the P5
>chips in an Apple G5. Why would anyone waste money and speed on AMD
>and Intel.
>
>The message from Oracle has been clear for several years ... hardware
>is a commodity. Very soon the operating system will be too. There is
>really not a single point I can think of in favor of even considering
>anything from AMD and Intel unless one has a mandate to decrease ROI.
>--
>Daniel A. Morgan
>University of Washington
>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>(replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 and 9.2.0.5 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Wed Apr 27 2005 - 12:49:27 CDT